Condoms are built away from fine plastic and produce a barrier to stop sperm and infection from moving between individuals during intercourse. They could be employed for genital sex, rectal intercourse and sex that is oral.
Condoms are necessary for steering clear of the spread of STIs. They can somewhat lessen your threat of disease, despite the fact that they cannot offer 100% security against all infections that are sexually transmitted.
And keep in mind: there is more to intercourse than sexual activity! There are numerous techniques to enjoy physical closeness along with your partner with no dental, genital or rectal intercourse. Safer intercourse also incorporates a lot of other pursuits like kissing, cuddling, rubbing, massage, stroking or masturbation. It definitely pays to play it safe if you have vaginal, anal or oral sex!
Can I always utilize a condom?
Work with a condom each time you have actually genital or rectal intercourse to minimise the possibility of getting or moving on STIs. Think about condoms that are using dental intercourse, particularly if you have actually plenty of intimate lovers. Even though you avoid using a condom every time, and for all types of sex, use one as often as possible—this is safer than never. It is not worth using a condom every time in future if you have occasionally not used a condom that does not mean.
Do condoms work?
In preventing STIs
Bacteria, or a virus such as for example HIV, cannot move across unbroken rubber! Therefore if utilized properly, condoms will avoid the spread of the virus such as for instance HIV. Condoms additionally lessen your potential for getting gonorrhoea and chlamydia. Keep in mind, some STIs may be sent by experience of areas that can’t be included in a condom, therefore utilizing a condom cannot guarantee which you will perhaps perhaps perhaps not get an STI.
In preventing maternity
Condoms reduce your potential for conceiving a child. Tests also show that when 100 ladies utilized condoms each time they had intercourse for starters 12 months, just two of those ladies would have a baby.
Which are the dangers of condoms?
The best chance of making use of condoms is that they can perhaps not work correctly whether they have been damaged by
- temperature from located in your pocket for days;
- tearing available the packet and piercing the condom during the time that is same
- having passed the date that is expiry.
One other danger is the fact that it’s not utilized precisely, for instance:
- perhaps not placed on quickly enough;
- maybe perhaps not found in combination by having a lubricant to prevent tearing;
- perhaps perhaps not held in during withdrawal.
Practice placing condoms on a banana in personal with your partner if you are embarrassed, so you know what you’re doing and feel confident using them.
Additionally, keep in mind! If you’re being addressed for thrush with antifungal therapy (such as for instance Canesten), this will harm the plastic of a condom plus it might not work correctly.
If a tear is discovered by you in your condom after intercourse:
- Visit a grouped family Planning hospital when it comes to “morning after” pill within 72 hours, if you should be concerned with maternity, or
- search for a health that is sexual if you’re concerned with STIs for advice from a medical expert.
Condom essentials for teens
Where can teens get condoms?
The way that is cheapest to have condoms is on prescription from your own doctor or Family preparing center — see below to get your nearest household preparation clinic. You can buy them from intimate wellness clinics and youth wellness clinics. They may be purchased at supermarkets, pharmacies, dairies, bars, groups and toilets that are public. They’re everywhere!
Ending HIV encourages remaining safe by utilizing condoms while offering a mixture of tools to homosexual and bi guys to avoid HIV transmissions. Dudes (cis or trans) that have intercourse with guys can purchase condoms at no cost from their web web site and they’ll be mailed in unmarked envelopes.
Simply how much do condoms expense?
The way that is cheapest to have condoms is from your own Family preparing hospital, intimate wellness center or youth wellness center, or on prescription from your GP. Anyone under 22 years will get a prescription for 144 condoms for $3! Clinics will give teenagers a often box of condoms 100% free. Therefore no excuses! Otherwise, expect you’ll spend $12–$20 for the pack of twelve through the online or supermarket.
Which condoms do I need to make use of?
The primary, reputable brands are the ones offered at Family preparing clinics, pharmacies and supermarkets. Make sure that any novelty, flavoured or coloured condoms do have the dates that are expiry them. Condoms advertised in brand New Zealand must conform to ISO 4074:2002(E) standard.
Does size matter?
Yes, condom sizes do matter! Be sure you or your partner make use of a condom of this right size. Condoms are more inclined to break if they’re too tight. The girth (thickness/width) for the penis might become more important than penis length. Decide to try a variety of condom sizes (such as for instance Trim, Standard, Large/XL and Superking/XXL) to get which fits you well, or measure around your erect penis employing a strip of paper to obtain the proper diameter of condom for you personally.
Do you know the benefits of condoms?
- Condoms lessen the threat of undesirable maternity mail order brides cost.
- Condoms decrease the potential for getting an STI.
- Condoms are plentiful.
- Condoms are really inexpensive if acquired through the grouped Family Planning hospital.
- Condoms are really easy to utilize.
- There are lots of brands that are different decide to try different styles until such time you find one which you prefer.
- Condoms do not have unwanted effects.
- Condoms assist to avoid cancer tumors associated with the cervix (the opening to your womb).
Do you know the cons?
- Intercourse may feel different—but that does not suggest it still does not feel great.
- Many people are reluctant to make use of them—you must be reluctant to own intercourse with the individuals!
- Condoms may cause an disruption to love making—use your imagination and work out them an element of the enjoyable.
- Many people are allergic to rubber—speak to doctor at Family preparing should this be the situation.
SIMPLY THE known facts is delivered to you because of the Sexually sent Infections Education Foundation (STIEF) – an effort funded because of the Ministry of wellness through collective District Health Boards to coach New Zealanders about STIs.