This program is a component regarding the (Res)MA History Programme. It isn’t available for BA pupils.
This Research Seminar is targeted on the archives associated with VOC or Dutch East Asia Company. It partly functions as a practical, more counterpart that is specific of Literature Seminar. It relates to a number of the basic archival problems talked about here, but details them when you look at the context of a 17th- and 18th-century Dutch-Asian commercial enterprise. As the VOC records formally comprised essay4you company management, in training additionally they functioned as a huge repository of valuable and key information about a number of activities in early-modern Asia.
The many staying VOC archives are comprised of several various sorts as well as “genres” of papers, including maps. Further, they partly overlap with materials that fall outside of the confines of those collections, but are closely pertaining to them, such as for instance personal documents, missionary records, travel reports, as well as pieces of art. These diverse materials had been produced with various purposes, are comprised and organised in numerous methods, and information that is present various perspecitives.
This seminar considers and compares all of these sources from both an archival and a historiographical viewpoint. It searches for similarities and differences when considering, from the one hand, the VOC archives and, having said that, archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations and of other European overseas trading organizations. Students who cannot browse (old) Dutch may make use of such other European documents, as an example those for the English East Asia business.
The pupil has obtained:
- 1 The capability to separately recognize and choose literary works, utilizing conventional and contemporary practices;
- 2 The capability to separately determine and choose sources, utilizing old-fashioned and contemporary strategies;
- 3 The capacity to analyse and assess a corpus of sources by having a view to handling a specific problem that is historical
- 4 the capability to analyse and assess literary works with a view to handling a certain historic problem;
- 5 the capability to separately formulate an obvious and well-argued research concern, considering the concept and way of the industry and also to reduce this concern to available and workable sub-questions;
- 6 the capacity to separately put up and perform an initial research study that could make a contribution to existing scholarly debates;
- 7 the capacity to offer an obvious and well-founded dental and written report on research outcomes in proper English, whenever needed, or Dutch, fulfilling the requirements of this control;
- 8 the capability to be involved in present debates when you look at the specialisation;
- 9 the capability to offer constructive feedback to and formulate criticism of this work of other people additionally the capability to assess the value of such critique and feedback on one’s very very own work and feature it;
- 10 (ResMA just): The capability to take part in a conversation for the theoretical fundamentals of this control.
Learning goals, related to the specialisation
- 11 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of just one of this specialisations or subspecialisations in addition to for the historiography associated with specialisation, concentrating specially from the after; into the specialisation Archival Studies: archiving in a context that is colonial understanding of the value of archiving procedures for the manner in which a society relates to its documents heritage as a whole and its particular historic practice in specific; disclosure, including electronic disclosure, of archives included in the wider history sector.
- 12 Thorough knowledge and comprehension regarding the theoretical, conceptual and methodological components of the specialisation or subspecialisation at issue, with a particular consider the annotated following: when you look at the specialisation Archival Studies: theoretical fundamentals of archivistics; evaluation and choice of archives.
Learning objectives, with respect to this Research Seminar
- 13 Thorough knowledge of the organisation associated with the VOC archives and exactly how it even compares to the organization of closely relevant materials (personal documents, missionary records, etc.), to archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations also to documents of other European trading that is overseas.
- 14 Thorough knowledge of just exactly exactly how these different principles that are organisational linked to the goals and audiences of these materials while the type and tone of data they have.
- 15 the capacity to analyse and compare archives produced within an early-modern Dutch-non-Western context.
- 16 (ResMA only): the capability to put up and execute initial research that raises brand brand new concerns, pioneers brand new apporaches and/or points to new guidelines for future research.